Additional Information
Description Map

On May 15th, 1832, near this site on the shore of Indian Lake, Rev. Frederic Baraga, a young Catholic missionary to the Indians, established and blessed his first church.  The original chapel was built by local Chippewa's using the traditional log and bark construction method.  In 1833 a larger chapel replaced the original building and records indicate it may have existed until 1873.  In the early 1980's after much research, the



  Location Directions