Munising, MI 49862
Open Year Round: No
Located about 15 miles east of Munising off Alger County Road H-58, then about 5 miles north to the end of Chapel Road (drive), then 2.5 miles (hike) to Lake Superior.
The Chapel area was named by early European explorers and is found on early maps as La Chappelle. Chapel Rock is a remnant of Cambrian age sandstone. The archway between the rock and the mainland collapsed in the 1940's. It and the remaining arch were carved by Lake Nipissing high waters some 3800 years ago.
Chapel Beach is also a remnant of Lake Nipissing, blocking Chapel Creek to form Chapel Lake. The area invites hikers and boaters to linger, and a popular backcountry campsite is found here.